320: Understanding Building Codes
This 2-hour, online course will compare and contrast the proposed National Energy Code with the BC Energy Step Code, Passive House, and others. With proposed changes coming nationally and provincially, it will be important for all industry professionals and builders to understand the key differences between the standards and the metrics that they reference. Each of the standards will drive us to design and build in different ways. Some of our traditional design and construction strategies may need updates or rethinking to ensure homes are passing the new code minimums. In particular, the expected outcomes of each standard must be understood to allow clients and government to make better choices.
- Basic understanding of how each standard is calculated.
- Understand the basic differences between Passive House, National Energy Code, BC Energy Step Code.
- Understand the basic differences in outcomes for each of the standards.
- Be able to articulate those differences to others.
- Passive House Designers and Consultants
- Builders, architects, architectural technologist and engineers
- Building officials and planners
- Anyone interested in the subject
There are no prerequisites
Learning resources provided
- Digital copy of course slides
- Recording available for 30 days following the event
Total number of learning hours: 2
AIBC Core Learning Units: 2 Core LUs (based on attendance of live course)
BC Housing (HPO) Training Hours: 2
PHI Credit points: 2
ALBNL: 2 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
AANB: 2 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
NSAA: 2 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)